Tuesday 15 March 2011

GIMME FIVE! - John Higgins






Time for another and next up we have artist John Higgins.
His first published work was back in the mid seventies and got his first gig with Tharg on 2000 AD Prog 43 in 1977. He started as a fully fledged Art Droid in 1981, along with working with Marvel UK.
Well known for his colouring work on Watchmen and The Killing Joke, been prolific on the American titles, now a writer as well as artist, just lately with Razorjack.
He's also much respected for his Judge Dredd tales through the years, giving a heroic, square-jawed Joe. And its been a real thrill to see him back with the fella the last few weeks.

1. WHAT COMICS DID YOU READ WHEN YOU WERE A NIPPER?
Any that the money from my milk round would buy, with probably a Crunchie choc bar thrown in, nip down the shops with my 2/6, see what I could get.
2. AND THE FAVOURITE ONE OF THOSE?
Probably Valient, but usually any that had an SF cover. Valient seemed to figure most in my mind.
3. FAVOURITE CHARACTER?
I probably brought too many different comics to be consistent with my fan affections, but the Steel Claw and the Spider was always a good read. When I found the right comic, you had to get to the newsagent early or your favorite comic would have gone...
4. FAVOURITE ARTIST?
Always Brian Lewis whenever I saw him, but he was too versatile and tended to be all over the place doing a million different strips. But always loved Dudley Watkins.
5. IF "THEY" BROUGHT IT BACK, WHAT STRIP WOULD YOU LIKE MOST TO WORK ON?
I suppose Dan Dare, even though he was a mainly 50's hero, he did come back a couple of times in the 60's and 70's, some of which I did work on in the 70's, but very frustrating as the stories I worked on were trying to update him. He should be kept in the "Biggles" retro futuristic style, story line and art I reckon.

No comments: