Wednesday 30 March 2011

GIMME FIVE! - Dave Taylor






True gent and brilliant artist to boot, Dave been bringing his European style to the likes of Judges Dredd and Anderson for a while now, making jaws drop in unison as folk pour over his hyper-detailed cityscapes and hardware.
Long out of print now, his Tongue Lash comic series is crimingly over-looked and well worth tracking down.

1. WHAT COMICS DID YOU READ AS A NIPPER?
The first books I remember reading were the Giles collections, which were always present at Christmas, and Billy the Cat in the Beano. Those are my earliest fondest 2D memories. The Rupert annuals I read at my cousin's house were amazing to see at a tender age, probably my first psychedelic experience!! But then I probably owe my career to IPC for introducing me to science fiction comics via Starlord and 2000AD. I can hand on heart say that my life path changed when I first read Starlord! I have to mention, for clarity's sake, that outside of British material I soaked up a lot of European books such as Tin Tin and Asterix. There, I've said it.
2. AND THE FAVOURITE ONE OF THOSE?
I can only pick a favourite because of the later impact it had on my entire life, that being 2000AD. I picked up a sense of freedom from those early pages, a realisation that anything was possible in comics. That's powerful Voodoo!
3. FAVOURITE CHARACTER?
That's a really hard question because so many characters played a part in my overall experience in British comics. That was the point. There wasn't one but many. That's part of the thrill I remember, being constantly introduced to new and interesting characters. OK...Billy the Cat or Dredd. I should draw them fighting it out!!
4. FAVOURITE ARTIST?
I still love Giles. I think the thing that struck me about his art was how he captured real life. His world reflected my own in some way. He may be responsible for me taking such an interest in studying life and all it's oddness, as an artist. Other than that, all, and I mean all the 2000AD artists were a joy, and many of them still are!
5. IF "THEY" BROUGHT IT BACK, WHAT STRIP WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO WORK ON?
If all the copies of The Cursed Earth (Judge Dredd) in the world mysteriously disappeared and the book had to be re-drawn then that would be my ultimate "job"! It doesn't answer the question properly but that's the first and thus the best answer I could come up with...other than Billy The Cat!!

No comments: