Wednesday 29 April 2009

Spring 1972, Black max dims, Adam Eterno shines





Just got these 3 copies from March and April of that month.
What a let-down with my favourite strip - a dull, ploding affair which has over the course of the three issues,Wilson held captive on a German Destroyer, freed by Max who intends to kill him himself, who then loses him. And that's it. THREE ISSUES to do that. Pffff...
Much better here is Adam Eterno. I've said before that the attraction of this strip for me is the wonderful, evocative artwork and the audacious way gold happens to appear to put the big guy in peril, rather than the character himself or the situations he's in.
And, boy, here that artwork sure is stunning stuff. The plant creatures are rendered brilliantly and the moodiness of the setting is top-notch stuff. If i ever could own a page of Eterno artwork, it'd be from this tale.

AIEEEE! Watch:
Plenty of "aaagh!" and "uuurgh", but no "Aieeee!" here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been re-reading my small collection of Valiant's recently and you're absolutely right - the artwork on Adam Eterno is glorious. I've also been enjoying the deadly appearance of gold in every story : my favourite is a tale set in the future, where gold is now so common that everything is made from it (even down to stormtroopers guns & batons)! Completely ludicrous, but endearingly fun...

Togher Historical Association said...

That would be Grunn the Grim.

The Cap.

max attraction gold said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!